Saturday, February 25, 2012

PICU - day 18/home - Friday


When I got back into Emylie's room this morning a little after 8:00 am she was awake and happy to see me. The nurse was across the hall helping with a new admit. She quickly ran over and said the doctors had already done rounds and the plan was to send her home on a weening schedule. She then went back across the hall. I was so ready to get Emylie out of there!! The quality of care seemed to get worse with each passing day and I couldn't stand it. Also, I was just ready to get her and I home. About 8:30am they did one last chest x-ray. After that, I started taking the pictures off the wall and the window clings off the glass door. Emylie helped put the clings back on the correct spot they came from. I packed up her get well gifts. Cleaned up the bedding and packed anything else that was to go home with her. The NP, Cory ordered a copy of all Emylie's xrays for me, so I went and picked that up and the prescriptions. At about 6:00am they had decreased her oxygen from 1.5 liters to 1 liter and she was doing well on that. At 12:45pm Dave showed up with Emylie's home vent, stroller and all her supplies to get her home. We shook Cory's hand, thanked him for all his help and we were on our way out the door. The nurse and respiratory therapist came with us to help get Emylie in the car. The back of the durango was full and we still had to get the stroller in. Dave is an excellent packer/rearranger (not really sure that is even a word) and got it all to fit. Emylie was emotional. I wasn't sure if she was thrilled to leave or if it was because her balloons were moving around or something else. When she starts to cry her saturations drop and she has an increase amount of secretions. Being in the car with her is an anxiety producer for me....I worry about her safety and being able to take care of her. Having her in the car and still being so sick makes me worry even more. Thankfully she settled down and a few minutes into the drive she fell asleep. We got home around 2:30pm to see two darling signs in the yard, welcoming Emylie home. We had to wake her up to bring her in the house....carrying her into the house was so emotional for me. I was incredibly grateful to our Heavenly Father for the blessing of Emylie's returning health and to bring her back home. We got her situated...she was excited to have Grandma H hold her for a little bit. Dayna came in the evening which was so nice to have the extra hands to help with Em. I created a schedule for the medications she is on, changed the spare trachs to the 4.0 size, washed the trachs from the hospital, tried to unpack everything, showed Emylie some of the gifts she received while she was "sleeping", washed all the stuffed animals and anything else that was potentially contaminated, changed the suction canisters and tubes on each machine, cleaned syringes, made milk, helped Dayna change Emylie's trach ties, talk to the nursing company, talk to the supply company, give my other girls great big hugs, investigate the suction depth issue that was discovered in the hospital. It makes me sick to my stomach and angry when I saw the difference myself.


This is about what the suction catheter should look like when properly suctioned. This is how far the suction catheter was being inserted for an entire week. She was paralyzed and had no way of saying - - that is too far.

Dayna gave Emylie a bath and boy oh boy did she smell better...no more hospital smell. Emylie relaxed for a little bit and then would play a little and then would lay back down and gave into sleep between 8:30 and 9:00pm.
It took us a good hour to go over details and changes with the night nurse and then we were off to bed.


It feels SOOOOOOO good to have her home!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. (tears in my eyes) Welcome home Emylie! This one was a big miracle; not a little one!! Our prayers were answered! Our door is still open for play dates this week, don't forget that!

    ReplyDelete