Tuesday, February 21, 2012

PICU - day 15 2nd half of the day...

It is about 5:30pm on Tuesday. At about 12:45 pm I was lying next to Emylie in her bed. The respiratory therapist came in and said he was ready to change her trach. So, the respiratory therapist, the nurse, Dr. Bennett and I changed Emylie's trach. Thankfully all went well. Emylie did wonderful. Amazing as always. I wondered if she would have fear from the last time we changed her trach when it didn't go so well. It was quit a difference to hear Emylie's air leak. It will occasionally sound like the sound you make when you blow air on a little kids tummy. They say that because of the increased pressure right now she may have that sound until she gets better. At first I was so concerned, but as most times talking it through with the right people helps. After we had her all situated after the trach change, we told her that Kids Crew had brought her a Mickey Mouse coloring book. The first thing she said was "where". Her voice is weak but what a beautiful, sweet sound!
A short time after changing her trach, Dr. Bennett came back in her room and said that because she has done so well it might be possible for her to go home tomorrow. As exciting as that sounded, I have to admit my chest filled with anxiety. Just yesterday we had talked about maybe Friday. He said of coarse it would depend on how well she does when they switch her to the LTV vent. A few minutes after that the discharge planner stopped by. Okay....now they are really moving quickly. She asked if we had nursing and I had told her that just yesterday I told them we didn't need nurses through Thursday. She went through the equipment needs and a few other things and said we would talk more in the morning.
We had a visit from Chris Hartling and discussed a few things. Deb (the NP) also stopped by. They are such wonderful people and are so good to talk things through with me. The anxiety levels decreased a little with our discussion. It is still going to take Emylie a while to recover once she gets home. Her lungs will take time to heal from being so sick. Deb was impressed with how quick she is getting better. It was also pointed out how quickly she got worse. They want to make sure they don't send her home to soon which is nice because we all know we do not want to be coming back any time soon. Chris mentioned that she may benefit from a trach/vent clinic appointment in March.
The Nurse Practitioner, Tisha stopped by around 2 and said she isn't sure Emylie will go home tomorrow. And then the charge nurse said she thought Friday would be a good day for her to go home. So at this point we will just wait and see.
At 4:40p Emylie was sleeping comfortably...the respiratory therapist came in and switched her to the LTV vent. She slept through the change. Her oxygen saturations went from 94% to 84% within a few seconds. The RT turned up the oxygen and within a few minutes was able to turn it down from 4 to 2 liters. Other than the initial drop she has done just fine with it and she is still sleeping.
In between the trach change and her falling asleep I got to hold her again in her bed. We played Lego's, colored and watched Mickey Mouse. They physical therapist stopped by and said they will do what they can while she is here to get her strength back to baseline.
I have not had a meal today and am trying to make sure I drink something. I didn't dare leave this morning and then when I thought about going to lunch is when Emylie asked me to hold her and how could I pass up that opportunity. This evening I picked up an antibiotic for my sinus infection, so hopefully I can get on the mend before to long too. I need to make sure I am on my game for when Em gets to come home. My friends son was admitted this afternoon to the 3rd floor and then my cousins twin stepsons were both admitted today, one to the PICU and the other on the floor. I pray they are able to get well quickly and back home soon too.
Overall, Emylie has had a nice day. She is getting stronger each day. She hasn't lost her fight! We are one step closer to home! Yay!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! We are so happy that Emylie is doing so well! She is such a strong little girl! You guys have been on such a rollercoaster! We have constantly been thinking about you and you have been in our prayers!
    Hope you get feeling better Mel!

    ReplyDelete