Tuesday, February 21, 2012

PICU - day 15

Ok... I got the venting out and I think things are going to be better. Dr Bennett and the nurse practitioner, Tisha came about 9:45 am for rounds. Tisha was the only one in the room for a minute and I asked if we could get a different nurse. Of coarse I immediately began to cry. She was very kind and said she will look into it for me. The two nurses, pharmacist and respiratory therapist joined the dr and np.
Dr Bennett sounded so upbeat about Emylie's progress. The plan for today is to talk to Chris Hartling about changing her trach back to an uncuffed trach. She will have the 4.0 trach instead of the 3.5 she came in with. This isn't a bad thing...it just means she has grown and should be ok with a larger one. They will see how she does with the trach change and then look at putting her on the LTV vent (this is like the one we use at home). They will also wean her morphine a little more. It will be nice when she is off of that....I think it makes her moody.
Rounds were short today which I think is a very good sign that she is doing better each day.
The charge nurse, Tracy stopped in a few minutes ago to see if things were better with the nurses. She said she talked to them and told Nancy (who is helping Stephanie) that Emylie has been very sick and we don't want her going backwards. She told Nancy that if Stephanie is helping the other patient then she needs to be in with Emylie. Tracy is great. I am grateful she was understanding to the need.
Emylie slept from about 9-11 this morning. She is now playing with the horse. I am thinking we are going to have to get her a horse to play with when she comes home. She loves the brown one and wants to keep it close by.
Chris Hartling also stopped by. She said Emylie should be good with the trach change to an uncuffed trach. She wants to get her home and is excited to see her progress. :) I was hoping to have Chris do the trach change but she said she has been sick so doesn't want to get to close.
With the trach change....Emylie's voice will be back!! I am SO EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment