Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Admit to the PICU...

Emylie started running a fever last Friday. She then started having increased oxygen needs and eventually labored breathing. We took her to the doctor on Monday. Her right ear was infected and her viral panel all came back negative. By Tuesday her breathing was even more labored. I think I knew the moment she woke up that she needed to go to the hospital. Shortly after she woke, Emylie's pediatrician called to see how Emylie was doing. I told her and mentioned that I was nervous. She asked that we bring her back in so she could listen to her lungs. Dave came home, we took Emylie to the dr. and as soon as she listened and saw Emylie she said she needed to go to Primary's. An ambulance was called. We packed up and were on our way with lights and sirens. Emylie asked to go home and where her daddy was from the time the nurse was getting her vitals at the doctor office till the time we got to the ER. She then continued to ask to go home. She would tell me she was better I think in hopes I would believe her and take her home. After her iv was placed they told her they were done, so she asked me to put her jacket on....I think she thought she was all done and could go home.

She was admitted to the PICU with pneumonia and later also found out she has metapneumovirus (apparently it has peaked and there are lots of kids here with it). She continues to have fevers even with Tylenol and Motrin. She seems very uncomfortable and her lungs are coarse. She still asks to go home and wants keeps a close eye on where I am at. She has talked to her sisters on the phone a couple times (which she loves and it is adorable to hear her communicate with them). She has had visits from Grandma H, Daddy and Sarah (her school nurse).

About 20 minutes ago, they adjusted her vent settings to give her a little more assistance. They say the virus she has doesn't usually cause the high fevers she has had. We will see how she does with the vent changes and go from there.

I am grateful for wonderful friends who are helping at home and making it possible for me to be here. I am grateful to be here with Emylie. I am grateful for the great medical staff that is available. It is difficult to see Emylie so uncomfortable. Please pray for our sweet little girl. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment