Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A fever???? What do you think? What do you do? With my other kids, depending on how warm they are and how they are acting depends on the answer. Usually you watch for other symptoms and go with it.

With Emylie you kind of do the same thing but NOT.

A week ago, Emylie woke up with a fever over 100 degrees. My anxiety level immediately increases. I start with the check list in my head. How does she look - a little tired still. Listen to her lungs. It sounded like air was passing through her lungs well, but there was a little something different. And because I am an amature I don't know all the technical terms for lung sounds. I know what her clear lungs sound like and if they are different, I just don't know what to call the different. Her urine had been questionable for a few days. I had already cathed her that morning before taking her temperature so I figured a few hours later I could cath her again in a sterile cup and send it for a culture. Crazy thing...when I cathed her a few hours later her urine was clear as could be - - go figure. I called the doctor office and spoke with the nurse. Gave her the details and she said just to watch her and not worry about a urine culture. Emylie was playful through the day. Her fever got as high as 101.8, she had a rough night, increase oxygen needs, increase secretions, a clear runny nose and a sound in her lungs that sounded like someone rubbing a inflated balloon. After her restless night and the nurse confirming the sound I heard in her lungs, I decided to cath her first thing and take the urine to be tested and while I was there have the pediatrician listen to her lungs. I cathed her and of coarse it looked crystal clear again!

Due to the fact that we only have one vehicle and the doctors office is within walking distance I figured we could walk to the office. I started to get Emylie and all her equipment ready. I also was trying to get her sisters and cousin on board for the walk too. Just when I had them convinced this would be a fun walk up the big hill I realized a very important piece of the stroller was missing... the bottom tray that holds the suction machine and the vent. It was in the car with Dave at work. Hmmmmm - I could probably just carry the vent on my shoulder!?! It is heavy but a mom has to do what a mom has to do.

Dave came to the rescue though and brought me the piece to the stroller, told me he would stay with the three girls at home and I could take Emylie to the doctor in the car (taking her in the car by myself is a whole other post I will have to tell you about). It almost felt like more work to pack her up in the car but we did get there faster and with air conditioning. :)

I gave the doctor Emylie's urine and they got her back in a room. The doctor came in and said the initial test they do on urine came back negative. Great - NO UTI! She then listened to her lungs and said the sounded GREAT! This is the time when I start to think I am a paranoid mom and that the doctor must think I am crazy and over protective. I am glad the urine looked good and that her lungs sound clear. We go out the door thinking she must have a virus and cross our fingers she stays stable enough to stay out of the hospital.

Update...a couple days later I got a call from the pediatrician telling me that Emylie's urine culture was growing. We had to wait another day to find out exactly what grew and what it was resistant too. Bummer that she has a UTI, but glad to get it taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment