Wednesday, June 22, 2011

1st Visit to the Dentist

Emylie had her first visit with the dentist at Primary's this afternoon and she did amazing!


She has an oral aversion (doesn't like things in her mouth - other than her binky), so I wasn't sure how the appointment would go. We strolled her into the room and she got a little anxious. She loves lights, so once I told her the big thing hanging from the ceiling was a light she calmed down. The doctor came in and talked with us for a few minutes. He told us to use a rice grain size amount of toothpaste and brush her teeth twice a day. I was talking to my friend over the weekend and she told me she used to have to pin her kids down to brush their teeth. I think that is what we will have to do for a little while, but I hope she will get used to it quickly.

The dentist looked at her teeth and then brushed them. Even though she cried and wasn't a big fan, she tolerated it well and stayed her beautiful pink color.


Did you know that when we eat food it keeps our gums from growing up the tooth? I didn't realize that chewing food did that.


So since Emylie doesn't eat anything by mouth her gums are growing over her teeth and she has calcification on her teeth but not to bad. We made her an appointment for the dental operating room in August. She will have to have general anesthesia and they will clean her teeth.


To parents who might be new to a "nothing by mouth" diagnosis - ask your child's doctors and dentist how to stay on top of your child's oral care. Emylie used to like toothetes and I probably could have brushed her teeth too, but when they said nothing by mouth, I figured that meant toothettes too. I didn't think to much about it at first and then before I knew it Emylie had calicification on her teeth. When I noticed it I asked one of Emylie's doctors and they said, that is actually worse than a child eating food and not brushing their teeth. Apparently it is hard to get off, but the dentist said today the calcification kind of protects the teeth from cavities.

~Sorry I don't have a picture to post - I forgot the camera~

No comments:

Post a Comment