Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Trach/Vent Clinic

We took Emylie to her trach/vent clinic today. At this clinic we see the pulmonologist, ENT, trach/vent care manager and special care pediatrician. They see her one at a time and then after clinic come together and collaborate on her care and then let us know... The pulmonologist, Dr Daftary thought Emylie's lungs sounded good and discussed procedures such as a bronchoscopy that may be beneficial.
I briefly mentioned in the last post the tissue I saw while doing her trach cares. Well, I sent pictures and discussed it with Chris Hartling and she said it was granulated tissue. They usually only do something if it causes pain, bleeds or interferes with a trach change. So as I do, I worried about changing her trach with that tissue which over the last week has grown. Thankfully Emylie's trach wasn't due to be changed until today...so I figured we would do it at clinic just in case. I was telling Chris and Dr Muntz how scared I was and that I would have dreams about her trach and my sweet husband was in the corner with a smile. He said, "you know they are going to have you change her trach!" And sure enough Dr Muntz said he wanted me to be the one to change it so I wouldn't worry. As much as I didn't want to be the one to do it, I DID. So, Dr Muntz, the ENT watched as I changed Emylie's trach so he could see what the granulated tissue looks like and so I wouldn't stress about changing her trach with the granulated tissue. I am happy to say that it went very well and I couldn't tell a difference. After we got the trach changed Dr Muntz put some silver nitrate on the granulated tissue and gave us a prescription for some cream to apply twice a day. Once the dr left the room Emylie said to me, "You did it all by yourself! Good job Mommy!" Isn't she so sweet! Dr Muntz also discussed getting rid of the binky and scheduling a swallow study. With the pediatrician we discussed some medical equipment such as a medical bed and a chair and she will get things started on both of those.
Overall I think they felt she was doing well especially considering where she was last month. They didn't order a chest xray because it takes 6-8 weeks for an xray to show the change after such an illness. 2 hours later we were on our way home and pleased with the overall appointment.
This last week Emylie has done WELL! She took herself off the vent for the first time and within minutes was crawling towards me in the laundry room. It was AWESOME to see her off the vent AND crawling with a big smile. She has gotten off the vent a couple other times, once she needed extra oxygen but the other times she has done fine without it. We also saw the plastic surgeon regarding the wound on her hand. He felt it was healing well and would probably take another month to continue healing.

.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Melanie. My name is Shannon Norton and Chris Hartling told me about you and the awesome mama you are! It is so great to look at your blog and see so many of the familiar terms and posts. I can celebrate with you on so many of those things! That is so awesome Emylie got off the vent and crawled to you! Both hugs achievements. I love those happy moments.
    I would love to talk with you about any advice you have for traveling with a trached child, all the equipment, etc. I'll send you an email with my phone number and maybe you can just call me whenever you have a second (I know how hard that is). Or if email is easier for you, that's great, too. Thanks so much!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete